Monday, September 28, 2009

"But the real fierceness of desire, the real heat of a passion long continued and withering up the soul of a man, is the craving for identity with the woman that he loves. He desires to see with the same eyes, to touch with the same sense of touch, to hear with the same ears, to lose his identity, to be enveloped, to be supported," Ford M. Ford, The Good Soldier.
 
How amusing, he looks like a total duf.

Fr. Feeney, my current English prof. for 20th Century British & Irish Novels, has us winding down on our path through the Good Soldier; this novel was a total teaser, I thought I was really loving it until the end when the narrator turned out to be a total a**hole. Just as cruddy a character as the lot of them. Once I really get to thinking he is this stand out guy, top shelf, once he is beyond well developed, even though through the plot of other characters, Ford throws you a fastball, a total ducky. Humph. Turns out I forgot that the narrator was a real active human being in the whole plot, and Ford held out 'til the end to cue me in on this development.

I know I am being completely vague, and this is not even a decient review of this book, a fare glimpse or teaser, but I am P.O.'d. So there.
Marvelous quote though, huh? Sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment